The Second Air Division evolved out of the reorganization of the VIII Bomber Command into the Eighth Air Force. Starting as the Second Bomb Wing, it become the Second Bomb Division. In September 1944 a fighter wing was assigned, and in January 1945 it was redesignated the Second Air Division.
The Second Air Division's first bombing mission was flown on November 7, 1942; the last on April 25, 1945. A total of 95,948 sorties were flown in 429 operational missions by the division's B-24's which dropped a total of 199,983 tons of bombs. Bomber crews accounted for 1,079 German aircraft destroyed in the air, and P47's and P-51's of the fighter wing destroyed another 3,670 enemy aircraft in the air and on the ground. A total of 1,458 bombers and 649 fighters were lost in operations against the enemy.
|The Second Air Division Association|
The Second Air Division Association traces its initial meeting to 1948 in Chicago, Illinois. It was organized as a nonprofit corporation in the State of Illinois on January 10, 1950. Members of the original Board of Directors were 2nd Air Division veterans Marilyn Fritz, Howard W. Moore, Jordan It Uttal, and Percy C. Young. The association's purpose is to advocate and support an adequate, effective and efficient Army, Navy and Air Force at all times; to perpetuate the friendships and memories of service together in the 2nd Air Division, 8th Air Force in England during World War 11 to support financially, and in any other way, the Memorial Trust of the 2nd Air Division as represented by the 2nd Air Division Memorial Room of the Norwich Central Library; and to undertake such other activities as may from time to time be deemed appropriate by the membership.
HQ - Ketteringham Hall, England
Click on group below for group history
Heavy Bombardment Groups